This was one of those ARC books that I receive periodically, and as I’ve been enjoying a number of non-fiction titles lately (and it’s one of the oldest ARCs I have in my queue) I thought I’d give it a go.
I’m not sure what I was expecting … but it wasn’t this. The sub-title is “A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths” but that still didn’t necessarily tell me what this book was going to be about. I suppose I thought it would be more about the evolution of the female breast as object of interest/passion/worship and thence the desire for augmentation. Perhaps because of the word “myth” in this title. But instead, this is really more of an extended pamphlet that you might find at the plastic surgeon’s office.
Each chapter starts with a list of questions (“can I do this?” “can I do that?” “how will…?” “when does…” etc), and then 98% of the chapter is devoted to answering each specific question. In the remaining 2% (approximately) are “titbits” — sidebar trivia — which is more along the lines of what I was expecting.
The Eisenberg’s do a very nice job with the writing and relaying of information, and their casual-ness and sense of humor would certainly encourage anyone interested in an augmentation to want to visit Doctor Ted. They clearly enjoying puns…and who doesn’t enjoy being ‘tit’-ilated by boob humor? For their writing … 4-½ stars.
But for content… any book that is ‘myth-busting’ needs to do much more than be a reception room pamphlet. 2 stars.
Looking for a good book? This has a very specific audience … those thinking about breast augmentation. Otherwise … not really worth the read.
* * * * * *
The Scoop on Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths
authors: Dr. Ted Eisenberg and Joyce Eisenberg
publisher: Incompra Press
paperback, 208 pages